Sunday, November 11, 2007

JUST A THOUGHT

Yesterday, my mom asked me a somewhat offbeat question: “Would you speak up if someone says bad things about you or would you rather keep silent?”

I couldn’t respond. I was like, “I don’t know. I guess it depends on the situation.”

After a long pause, I was like, “If it was me, I’d just rather shut my mouth.”

Yeah, I’d rather shut my mouth and keep silent rather than respond to people saying shit about me. No way would I glorify a slight, an insult, or a slur by responding to it. I’ve been doing it all my life. Somehow, I have this unique ability to control that urge to respond to those who badmouth me. While people may misconstrue my silence as an admission of guilt, fault, or weakness, I look at it as an act of maturity, a sign of poise, a mark of confidence, a showcase of self-assurance. More importantly, I see it both as an opportunity to prove people wrong and a chance to improve myself as a person.

While a lot of the things that people tell me are pure BS, some are actually legit criticisms. Yes, I shut my mouth, but it doesn’t mean I don’t listen and assess the things being said to and about me. Sometimes, I use the badmouthing I get as a means to know myself more, and to make myself a better person in the process. But don’t get me wrong––a lot of times, people just say a lot of fucked up things about me that don’t make sense. When they do, I just take their BS in stride. Besides, no one knows me better than I do.

One other thing: People will eventually get tired running their mouths, and when they do, they’ll be the first to shut their damn mouths. If I respond to what they say, I just give them more ammunition to continue talking.

Oh, and didn’t they say that “Silent water runs deep”? So yeah, I guess I’d rather keep silent.

No comments: