I’ve lost my edge.
Straight up, I’ve lost my edge, my swagger.
Suddenly, I’m no longer sure of my self, of my abilities, of my talents, of my skills.
Every day, every night, I go like, “Am I as good as I think I am?” There’s doubt, there’s reservation, there’s cynicism. There are questions, questions I can’t answer.
I am doubting myself.
Two years ago I was so sure of myself. I was confident, a bit too confident it bordered on cockiness, on arrogance.
“I was good,” I told myself. “I was good.” And I believed that––hook, line, and sinker.
I guess getting good job offers left and right does that.
But that was two years ago. Today is different, very different.
All it took was a slight, a snub, a brush-off.
Last February our two copyeditors resigned, leaving a huge vacuum to fill. Word got out that a select few of us, current editors, would be groomed as the next copyeditor (the other copyeditor post was to be filled up by a new hire). The setup was simple: upper management would select the “most qualified” editors and train them. They’ll be, in essence, copyeditors-in-training, with the strong possibility of promotion somewhere down the line, may be within the year.
Naturally, I expected that I’d be, even at the very least, considered. I honestly believed that I had proven myself for the last year and a half––I never missed deadlines, I produced quality work, I gave them top-shelf writing, and I showed good attitude. Heck, I gave more than what was asked for! Everything in my JD, I did with fervor, and then some.
At times, I became a production team all by myself: evaluating, editing, revising, writing, lay-outing, proofreading, and drawing. Yes, DRAWING!
Heck, all I wanted was to be considered. The hell with being chosen, I just wanted upper management to give me a look and say, “Hey, maybe we should consider him.”
All I wanted was for my bosses to pull me aside and say, "You know, we're considering you as a potential copyeditor-in-training. We think your good, we think your qualified."
That's all I wanted. I couldn't have cared less if I was chosen or not. I just wanted some sort of validation, some kind of confirmation that, indeed, I'm good enough.
It never happened.Fuck! Shit! Fucking shit!
And the question just popped out of my mind: Am I not good enough?
Really, AM I NOT GOOD ENOUGH?
Honestly. I felt bad, really, really bad. I just got slighted, snubbed, brushed-off!
Nothing against those who got chosen––they’re good, real good.
But this isn’t about them. I’m happy for them. Really, I’m happy for them. But I know I’m just as good, just as qualified––or am I?
Now I don’t even know for sure.
Maybe I’m not as good as I thought I was. Maybe I never was good in the first place.
I know there are still people who believe in me, people who constantly appreciate and recognize my talents, my skills, and my demeanor. Unfortunately, those people aren’t my bosses.
So now I’m still searching for answers, still searching for my once indissoluble confidence.
I want to regain my edge, rediscover my swagger.
I just don’t know if I can do it.

2 comments:
Don't let them steal your mojo. May weird reasons talaga mga boss kung bakit yung mga less deserving ang napo-promote. Nakaka-discourage, pero mas damaging pag hinayaan mong maapektuhan ka nun. You'll get your chance someday :) Kung hindi ka pa rin nila pinansin after you give it a second shot, jump ship na.
Ay, I changed my number! Globe pa rin ako, though. May YM ID ka ba? Dun ko na lang sabihin, hehe. tinnywonks pa rin ang gamit ko sa Yahoo.
don't lose that pride and confidence. one of the most important things that i have learned in my almost 5 years of corporate life is that noone can best attest to your own skills and capability but yourself. sometimes, bosses make weird decisions. if you think you deserve that position, well, prove them they are losing a lot by being better now. sooner or later, they'll realize how wrong they are for not considering you. pero sharline is right. lightning never strikes the same place twice, pero if in case they made something stupid like that again, quit. sayang ang skills and capabilities mo kung di ka nila mapapansin. one thing i want to suggest though: if an opportunity like that pops up again in the future, i suggest you express your intention that you are interested in it. you know, just to formally let them know that you want the ball. sometimes, bosses do not realize that they are ignoring their best staff, and they are not even aware of it. hay naku... i have so many things to say but i'm sure you get my point. :-)
don't you ever give anyone the chance to size you up. you know yourself much, much more than anyone else.
Post a Comment