Ever since I injured my knee playing basketball, my mom has constantly harangued me about the hazards of playing basketball. Whenever she can, she tells me that I should no longer ball, and that I should switch to non-contact sports, preferably those that don’t require running and jumping. Hard-headed as I am, I’ve been telling my mom that I’ll play ball again, by hook or by crook.
“I love playing basketball, mom,” I told her once.
“The game doesn’t love you,” she answered emphatically.
“You don’t get anything from playing basketball!!” my mom would say often.
“It keeps me in shape and it relaxes me,” would be my usual reply.
But after getting an MRI last Wednesday, I think I’ll begin to reconsider my stand on playing basketball again. Heck, may be mom does know best.
When I saw the following findings, my heart just melted.
Anterior cruciate ligament tear (partial or almost complete tear).
Complex tear of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus.
Consider popliteal, meniscal, or ganglion cycst with rupture at the posteromedial popliteal area.
Consider slight muscle atrophy of the tibialis anterior.
I’m no doctor, but anytime something’s torn in the body, I know it’s not a good thing.
I’ll be meeting up with my doctor tomorrow to discuss this matter, and I’m not quite too optimistic about it. I actually feel like things will degenerate from bad to worse once my doctor examines the results of my MRI. I’m keeping my fingers crossed, though. Hopefully, surgery won’t be needed.
For the meantime, though, I think my playing days are over.

No comments:
Post a Comment